What Are Cannabis Seeds and How Are They Created?
Cannabis seeds contain the genetic information of their parent plants, and can be consumed or used to grow more cannabis plants. Their purchase and use is restricted in some areas and allowed in others.
Are Cannabis Seeds Legal?
In a large number of nations around the globe, the legality of cannabis seeds falls into a grey area. Hemp – the non-psychoactive sister plant to marijuana – and hemp seeds are legal in a number of countries worldwide. With marijuana seeds however, this is not the case.
In the United Kingdom, the possession and use of marijuana is strictly prohibited. However, the sale, purchase and possession of marijuana seed is legal. These seeds are legal under the condition that they may not be planted or germinated. The laws in Italy and France concerning seeds are similar to those of the UK.
Germany has a stricter regulatory system for cannabis and cannabis products. Under the German Narcotics Act cannabis is prohibited for cultivation or sale, and possession of any part of the plant is punishable by law. The only exceptions to these laws are for patients who are lawfully prescribed medical marijuana. Cannabis seeds are unlawful to sell and use in the nation, but they are not unlawful to possess.
In the United States of America, cannabis is legal in ten states but the laws on cannabis seeds can be complicated. As of 2018, it is lawful to import hemp seeds into the US. Hemp and hemp seeds are non-psychoactive and non-illegal substances under federal law. Seeds and plant parts which contain less than 0.3% Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) can be acquired under state law. For cannabis seeds that have more than 0.3% THC, local and federal laws differ widely.
Before opting to purchase cannabis seeds, it is important to understand its legal status within a region in order to avoid fines and even possible jail sentences.
Where Can You Get Marijuana Seeds & for How Much?
Marijuana seeds can be obtained in a manner of ways. Most commonly, marijuana seeds are purchased from seed banks or local marijuana dispensaries.
Seed banks are man-made storage facilities which stock a wide variety of the seeds of different plant species. At seed banks, cannabis consumers have access to a wide array of cannabis strains and selections. Seed banks exist all over the world in countries including Spain, the UK and The Netherlands. Marijuana seeds can be purchased from physical seed banks or online platforms.
Marijuana dispensaries are stores in which cannabis products are made available for purchase to medical and recreational consumers. Dispensaries are only accessible in countries where cannabis is legal for either medical and/or recreational purposes. As with seed banks, marijuana dispensaries can be accessed physically or via online platforms.
On average, a pack of cannabis seeds contains ten to twelve seeds. Purchasing a regular pack of seeds can begin at $45. When seeds are crossbred, they become more expensive. Genetically enhanced cannabis seeds can be purchased anywhere from $200 - $500 a pack.
Feminized and autoflower seeds are often more expensive than regular seeds due to genetic enhancements.
What Natural / Environmental Conditions Are Required To Grow Cannabis Plants?
Cannabis plants can be cultivated indoors and outdoors. Potential growers have the choice of cultivating the plant in indoor plant pots or taking them outdoors. Whatever the grower’s choice, there are certain conditions which need to be met for cannabis to grow properly. These conditions are:
- Water – Cannabis plants are thirsty plants. They require copious amounts of water in order to stay healthy and grow optimally.
- Air – Fresh air is an important part of cannabis cultivation. Plants exposed to fresh air and gentle breezes avoid common cannabis pests such as fungus, spider mites and gnats. The exposure to healthy, flowing air makes cannabis plants grow healthy and strong.
- Temperature – Cannabis plants flourish when kept at temperatures between 70 and 90⁰ Fahrenheit (21-32⁰ Celsius).
- Light – When growing cannabis, it is important to give light that is bright but not too bright. Light can determine the yield of your cannabis plants. Lights can also influence the growth pattern of the plants. It is possible to give your plants too much light so it’s best to keep lights moderate. Light regulation is particularly relevant to indoor cannabis cultivation.
What are the disadvantages of growing marijuana from seeds?
For cannabis consumers, growing a cannabis plant can be an enjoyable and rewarding experience. However, it is not free of disadvantages. Some disadvantages of growing your own cannabis plants include:
- The Sex of Plants – Unless feminized or autoflower seeds are purchased, there is no sure way to determine the sex of the plant until it is planted. Male plants offer little value for consumers who prefer to smoke the product and if only male plants are planted, it would be a waste
- Time – Growing cannabis from scratch is a process that requires time and dedication. The cannabis plant is delicate plant and requires specific growing conditions
- Money – Growing cannabis – especially indoors – can be expensive. The equipment required to successfully grow cannabis requires a significant investment.
In many nations worldwide, the legality of cannabis seeds falls in a grey area. Hemp seeds are usually unproblematic but cannabis seeds are often strictly prohibited. However in legal areas, if a grower is willing to invest the time, money and effort into the plant, growing cannabis from cannabis seeds can be enjoyable and rewarding.