What is CBD oil (Cannabis Oil)?
The cannabis plant is made up of several chemical compounds which are referred to as cannabinoids. These cannabinoids are responsible for the effects of cannabis and cannabis products. One of these cannabinoids is cannabidiol (CBD). Cannabidiol is the second most commonly occurring chemical compound in the cannabis plant, after tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
Cannabidiol can be extracted from either the resin of the hemp plant or strains of marijuana which contain high concentrations of the cannabinoid. The purpose of this extraction is to separate them from other cannabinoids such as THC. These extracts are often infused into carrier oils – predominantly hemp seed oil or coconut oil – to form CBD oils.
While most CBD oils contain little to no detectable amounts of THC, it is important to note that any cannabis oil with a higher concentration of CBD to THC is referred to as CBD oil.
CBD oils can also be referred to as CBD cannabis oils or CBD hemp oils.
A glass jar containing cannabis infused into carrier oil. The ‘oil method’ is one of the safest methods in which CBD oils can be made. Source
How is CBD Cannabis Oil Made?
The rise in popularity of CBD oils for medical and recreational purposes has caused many individuals to enquire as to how exactly the substance is made. CBD oils can be made using many techniques, however, the safest methods for those who want to make their cannabis oils at home is the oil method.
The Oil Method
For this method, you will need two base ingredients; your carrier oil and a choice cannabis strain. It is essential to note that the higher in quality your cannabis strain is, the more potent your CBD oil will be.
To get the best out of your cannabis, it is necessary to pass it through a process known as decarboxylation. Decarboxylation involves subjecting the cannabis to heat in order to activate its cannabinoids.
- Step 1 – Decarboxylise your cannabis by baking its leaves and buds in an oven with temperature 220⁰F (Fahrenheit). After 90 to 100 minutes, decarboxylation occurs. Grind cannabis into smaller pieces once out of the oven.
- Step 2 – Fill a mason jar with a preferred carrier oil – coconut, olive or hemp oil. Once the desired amount of oil is realised, mix the cannabis with the oil. Make sure the cannabis is completely saturated.
- Step 3 – Bring the mixture to boil by placing the mason jar – make sure it is tightly lidded – in a pan of boiling water for three hours. It is important to place the mason jar on a cloth – preferably cotton. The temperature of the water should be at least 200⁰F. Check regularly to make sure the water has not evaporated.
- Step 4 – Once boiled, let the mixture sit for three hours.
- Step 5 – For extra potency, repeat step 3.
- Step 6 – Once completed, leave to sit overnight. By the morning, the oil will be ready for use. Sieve the bits of marijuana with a cheese cloth and store in a cool, dry place.
Can I Purchase CBD Oils Legally in Perth?
If you are a licensed medical marijuana patient, the answer is – yes. CBD oils are legal in Perth; they were legalised alongside marijuana in 2016 for medical purposes only. Patients can access the substance through provisions made in the Special Access Scheme (SAS) under the Therapeutic Goods Act (TGA). It is important to note that CBD oils extracted from strains of cannabis – and not the hemp plant – are strictly prohibited within the Australia.
Hemp oils – which contain less than 0.0075% cannabidiol and 0.005% tetrahydrocannabinol – are available for mainstream purchase under the provisions of the Office of Drug Control. These oils can be found in a number of health and body shops around Perth. CBD oils which contain more than 0.0075% CBD and 0.005% THC are strictly prohibited. Being caught in possession of oils in these concentrates can land the individuals who wield them in trouble with local authorities.
CBD in Perth Summary
The cannabis plant is made up of several chemical compounds known as cannabinoids. One of these cannabinoids is cannabidiol (CBD). Cannabidiol can be infused into carrier oils – usually coconut, olive or hemp – to make CBD rich oils referred to as CBD hemp oils or CBD cannabis oils. These oils can be made at home using two simple ingredients and six simple steps. Currently, the purchase of CBD oil in Perth is an exclusive right available only to approved medical marijuana patients. Hemp oils can be sold to the general public but this variety contains very little cannabidiol.