Men and women consume cannabis differently
Men consume more cannabis than women. According to research, 75% of cannabis smokers are men. However, very few male smokers are addicted to marijuana. Further, in Australia, out of the 1.9 million cannabis users, 1.2 million are men.
Dopamine, a neurotransmitter in the brain, creates a feeling of happiness and euphoria when released. When men consume marijuana, dopamine is released in the ventral striatum, a part of the brain primarily associated with rewards. For women, however, the chemical is released in the dorsal striatum, a part of the brain primarily associated with negative moods.
The positive feelings men get from using cannabis, as opposed to the mood changes in women, explains why 75% of cannabis users are male. Men and women also seem to have a difference of opinion regarding cannabis use. While men prefer THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) dominant products, women prefer CBD (Cannabidiol) products.
Whatever explanations exist regarding gender differences in consumption, the male dominated cannabis market is worth a closer look into the cannabis products preferred by men.
Products men prefer
Men prefer THC prodcts due to its psychoactive effects — it’s ability to create what’s commonly referred to as a ‘high’. CBD, on the other hand, is more of a medical extract, giving relief without any psychoactive effects.
THC can be consumed by smoking marijuana. However, it’s also available in edibles, tinctures, capsules, oil and many other products, all giving that ‘high’ feeling that men prefer.
Pros of consuming THC
Although men consume THC for it’s psychoactive effects, it also has several advantages and benefits:
- THC enhances appetites in patients with eating disorders. It releases ghrelin, a hormone that simulates hunger.
- Research shows that products with high THC content help people with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. It alleviates pain with regular consumption.
- Research shows that THC helps relieve conditions such as insomnia, nausea, depression, anxiety, and muscle spasticity.
- Studies suggest THC may inhibit the growth of tumors and help prevent cancer.
- Products high in THC increase insulin sensitivity.
- Contrary to popular belief, THC actually simulates the growth of the brain and protects spatial memories.
- According to a recent study, people who have THC in their system are more likely to survive head trauma.
Cons of the product
Despite the many benefits of THC, several downsides exist. Here are a few disadvantages of using THC products.
- THC may cause dizziness and headaches.
- THC’s side effects may include dry mouth, red eyes, and dry eyes.
- Consumed THC by smoking can result is temporary short-term memory loss.
- Daily consumption of THC may cause anxiety and paranoia.
Regardless of advantages and disadvantages of cannabis use, it’s clear that men prefer using it for its psychoactive effects. Thus, the best cannabis products for men are those with high THC content. The wide variety of such products creates many options, from edibles to capsules to smoke-able products and more. Perhaps men may soon account for well over 75% of cannabis users.